Friday, March 30, 2012

better to check in early?

we are arriving at 10:30am, should we try to get an early check in or should we just go ahead and enjoy the city and head to the hotel around 3 when checkout begins? are the chances of getting a nicer view better earlier or later? we have a car, so no worries about bags etc.



better to check in early?


Never hurts to try early.. we got our room at about 9am last time and an upgrade!



better to check in early?


I always try to check in as soon as I arrive- no matter how early. I don%26#39;t think it matters when you check in- as soon as rooms become available they assign them.




I%26#39;d say check in. Even if your room isn%26#39;t ready, you can leave your bags with the bell service, where it will be safe while you wander around.





:-)



Slix




I%26#39;d say check in early. You can leave your bags and they can put them in your room when it%26#39;s ready. I think there is also a better chance of an upgrade earlier in the day. VHM said that the hotels start upgrading people first thing in the morning, so if they know for sure that you are going to show up for your reservation, you may get a nice surprise!




great advice. thank you all.




Sister: not disputing what VHM said, but I could have sworn that I%26#39;ve seen another posting several months ago from someone who worked in one of the hotels that said the opposite: that they gave out all of the regular rooms first and then upgraded, so that a better chance of an upgrade is actually in the evening? Aaack, now I%26#39;m confused!! Maybe we need some VHM clarification??




Well, I can%26#39;t find the old thread, but basically he said they upgrade people in the morning in part because it%26#39;s easier to sell standard rooms to walkins or people making last-minute reservations.




Actually, here it is:





';We start looking at the reservations in the morning. Hosts provide us their lists, then we turn to our loyal guests, then we look at roomtypes specific. Check-in is not until 3 - you are correct, but we start working our reservations getting them setup first thing in the morning. If we waited tell 3pm to start arranging things - with over 1000 rooms things would be out of control.';





…tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k11140…




Thanks Sister. I can see that VHM has a certain system which is all well and good, but my feeble brain tells me that wouldn%26#39;t it be more advantageous for a hotel to hold their better, nicer, bigger rooms for last just in case there are walk-ins so that they can charge them higher prices? Then when the demand starts to go down later in the day (or night) upgrade people or give those to the folks who paid for standard rooms but since those have already been assigned ...



Again, not disputing what VHM says, but trying to see the logic. Of course, if I were logical, I wouldn%26#39;t go to Vegas and gamble my money away!




I always check in when I arrive and I%26#39;ve been upgraded several times both early and late. It seems the rooms are assigned as they become available.

No comments:

Post a Comment