Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lost money when cancel room booking--non US credit card

I recently canceled my room booking with Paris and went for the MGM Grand $89 promo. The Paris refunded the 1 night deposit to my credit card without any penalty. However the credit card company credited me about $10 Canadian less because of the sell/buy exchange rate. I think if you are using a US$ credit card, there will be no lose if you cancel and rebook but for non US travelers, we will lost a bit because of the credit card company but not the hotel.



Lost money when cancel room booking--non US credit card


If the exchange rate had gone the other way you would have been up.Currency fluctuations are a gamble,unless you are Warren Buffet.



Lost money when cancel room booking--non US credit card


I guess that is what you get for booking with a Canadian Credit Card.




I experienced the same thing. I think I ended up losing $12 or something close to that amount, no big deal, but still slightly annoying. I figured that since it is a reund it should be the same rate you paid for it originally, but then I am no financial expert.






I have just cancelled our booking at the Paris, was paid for on my UK credit card exchange rates have moved in our favour since our original booking so will be interesting to see what is refunded when it comes through.




I%26#39;ve never been credited more money than I paid when returning something I bought or paid for in USD with my Canadian credit card. Somehow, the exchange rate, right at that minute, always benefits the credit card company, NEVER the client. Coincidence? I don%26#39;t think so.




I never had this problem using my Canadian CC and I%26#39;ve booked and canceled, changed, etc rooms frequently. My money has always been fully refunded.



Which CC?? I%26#39;ll stay away from it.




We booked our HM reservations (French Polynesia) directly through the hotel because we had an awesome rate that the packages couldn%26#39;t touch. Over the 6 months between booking and arriving, the US economy tanked (start of Iraq war) and we lost about 30% in the exchange rate. result, our already pricy honeymoon was 30% more expensive. That was a cruddy lesson to learn.




Visa





Oh the hotels always refund the exact amount for the 1 night deposit, but the exchange rate is up and down all the time, so I seem to lose a few bucks CDN, depending when the hotel puts the credit through. That%26#39;s why I never book more than one room at a time, waiting for the best deal. I book the hotel I want with the deal I want.




Awww, LauraSue, I%26#39;m really sorry to hear that, that is a crappy deal! Hopefully you%26#39;ll win more than enough to cover the extra expense, if you do any gambling, that is!




With the dollar falling against the Euro we lost slightly on our two cancellations,but our holiday savings are getting better as we speak.



$1.28 when we started $1.36 now,so on 15,000 euro a nice little bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment