Sunday, April 15, 2012

The search function

I see a lot of people telling others to use the search function when they ask about something that is asked 20 times a day on this board.





What good does that do? I tried to use it to find where the post went about whether it was better to do the gondola ride at Venetian (Ventian according to the OP) at night or during the day.





I put ';gondola'; in the little white box, click on the ';go'; button and I get posts from 2006, 2005, March 2007, the posts from May 2007 show up on page 2.





What good does it do to have a search function if it does not bring up the most recent posts at the top of the list????



The search function


I agree with the most current ones should be at the top. I don%26#39;t understand that either. I search frequently for answers because newbies aren%26#39;t that familiar with the function.



The search function


I also agree. It is much easier just to ask the question (and risk being directed to the search box), then reading through hundreds of posts where the keyword is mentioned.




You bring up a good point- that is the reason why we have the same questions asks every couple of days:





What is he best buffet?





Who has the best pool?





Where would you eat?





Etc, etc




On the LA forum there%26#39;s a sticky for answers to their ten most FAQs. It%26#39;s been compiled by the local experts on that forum and I%26#39;m sure prevents a lot of questions being asked repeatedly.





It would be a useful addition to this forum.




When I first joined this forum the most recent search items were at the top. In fact, some days they are in order, sometimes not. I can%26#39;t fathom it. I do a new search every day to see if anyone has added anything interesting about the TI hotel (where I am staying later this year) and it is a real drag having to trawl through page upon page of results to find something new. Come on TA - sort it out!!!




I have tried using the search button and I find it extremely difficult to use. I don%26#39;t want open 20 posts and then find out they didn%26#39;t have the information I was looking for. I am not annoyed with people asking the same questions over and over again. Things change so rapidly in Vegas that what was true six months ago isn%26#39;t necessarily true now. As far as questions about weather, etc.- if you don%26#39;t want to read or answer the post- just don%26#39;t open it. No big deal.




Yeah, I don%26#39;t understand why people get their noses bent out of shape over repeated questions, but I find it interesting. Why does that bother them so much? Forums are fun--FAQs are boring. And that%26#39;s that.





The search function here is good only if you%26#39;re looking for a specific post from the past, or a question that no one currently can answer. Even then it%26#39;s limited.




I have reported this sort problem to technical support numerous times It seems to work correctly for a while then reverts back to the bogus result order. All I get from them is a dance obout relevancy and how they are looking into adding an option to the sort to request the reults in the most recent post date order




It just cracks me up that people get their panties in a wad over the most trivial stuff. So what if a question has been asked a million times? It%26#39;s still new to the poster, and I%26#39;ve never known anyone to actually die from being polite.





I can see where it might hurt one or two people, though. ;-)




It is not a matter of getting your panties in a wad or for that matter your kidneys in a twist. It is simply a matter of the forum searches not returning relevant data. I search for info on the GN and results posted in 2005 with no relevancy to the current posting status

No comments:

Post a Comment