Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Back from Vegas... took the tunnel.

Just got back from Vegas and at the airport we had a very nice taxi driver who asked us if we preferred %26#39;the local streets%26#39; or the tunnel. I told him that everyone says to avoid the tunnel. He said that the tunnel is quicker, but a few more dollars. So what the heck, I wanted to try it and see what the big deal was.





Last year, the airport to the Mirage was $16 (not inc. tip) - no tunnel. This time it was $20 (not inc. tip) with the tunnel and we were there in 10 minutes give or take a minute. So, yes, it was a few more dollars and it was ALOT faster.





Not much of difference in my opinion!





ps: It definately stinks to be back. : (



Back from Vegas... took the tunnel.


Each taxi ride to any given destination is different as there are so many intangibles (time of day, traffic) so it%26#39;s no surprise that on occasions the tunnel can be preferrable.





The nicest thing about this story is that the driver was totally honest with you.



Back from Vegas... took the tunnel.


Blagger-





Yes. I meant to say that in my post. The cab driver was totally honest with us. He did say it would be more $, but quicker. And the time of day plays a part too.




Considering the taxi rates have gone up with the recent surge in gas prices, the cost this year of using the other route probably would have been $20 as well. You%26#39;re on vacation, getting to your hotel 3 minutes faster is probably worth the $4.





For all those that say ';No Tunnel';:





Imagine if you go to your favorite machine to find someone else playing it. You strike up a conversation, asking how long they%26#39;ve been playing the machine ';Just got here'; is the reply. Two minutes later they hit a BIG jackpot. See, the tunnel could have made you a winner, instead of a whiner.




Remember there are people on this fourm that actually take the bus from MCCarran to save a buck, so to think they%26#39;d rather get to their destination the fastest way, than spend a couple of dollars is assumming alot.




Point taken, but some of us who take the bus are just not ';Type A ';personalities who have to get everywhere fast -and are probably fortunate that we have low blood pressure etc and don%26#39;t stress over small stuff. Seem to me the Bellagio etc, are full of such types who are barking into their cell phones constantly as they gulp down their ulcer medication. Not everyone, of course, but give me the slow road everytime. Ever read the book ';The Millionaire Next Door?'; You%26#39;ll find lots of rich folks driving an old car and taking the bus in Vegas!




Could someone please tell me what and where the ';tunnel'; is? I have only been in cabs that exit the airport on Tropicana and just head to the strip.




PS Vegasbride, tell us about your trip when you have a chance!




Muffina the tunnel exits the airport to the south under the runways right on to I-215 I-15 interchange.





Keep in mind the Taxi drivers have one priority: To get you from point A-to-B as quickly as possible to get to thier next fare. IMO if that means using the tunnel and costing 4 or 5 dollars more to save 10 to 30 minutes; What are you complaining about folks?





As a local I would never use anything but the tunnel, and I travell a lot in and out of LV. Only time I would not use the tunnel is if I am going someplace east of the stripo and very close to Tropicanna. Otherwise I am not going to waist my time.




VHB, thanks for the info. I guess the tunnel is more of an issue if you are staying further north on the strip? The farthest I have ever stayed is the Flamingo and no tunnel was used. He just went Tropicana to maybe the back road of the Flamingo I forgot the name of the street.




Tunnel or no tunnel? Staying at Rio, arriving at LAS on Friday at 2PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment