Thursday, April 19, 2012

Traveling from Las Vegas to Sequoia National Park

I%26#39;d like to get some advise from someone who has made the trek. Was considering trying to pass through Death Valley on the way, but looks like a lot of backtracking to get over the mountains. Anyone taken this route? Welcome suggestions - traveling the first week of July. Thanks!

Traveling from Las Vegas to Sequoia National Park

You%26#39;re right, you can only access Sequoia and Kings Canyon from the west side (Visalia). Are you heading someplace else (e.g. San Francisco)? I would really not rush any of this (but I%26#39;m not just a drive-by person). I would leave Las Vegas, spend the whole day in Death Valley, then probably stay in Bakersfield. The NEXT day I would head into Sequoia - ideally to spend the night there, too, but if you can%26#39;t then come out the north end and stay near Fresno. Then the next day go on to wherever you%26#39;re going on to, or just drive back to Las Vegas from Fresno.

Traveling from Las Vegas to Sequoia National Park

I did this trip a few years ago. Like you, I wanted to see Death Valley as well. I couldn%26#39;t get the travel time numbers to work out stopping in Death Valley, so we saved it for another time and went through Bakersfield. I remember the drive being every bit as long as predicted -- and the last 20 miles or so into the heart of the park are steep and windy. I was glad to be driving in daylight.


Death Valley is a neat place, well worth a visit. However at this time of year it is probably too hot. Add 15-20 degrees from Vegas temp. In the summer it can be outright dangerous.

Can you really do Sequoia from Vegas in one day? Sounds like lots of driving to me.

  • gloss
  • excel
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment